Puyol On Ronaldinho And Eto'o






Barcelona captain Carles Puyol told El Mundo Deportivo his thoughts on Ronaldinho, as well as want-away striker Samuel Eto'o...


The captain lifted the Champions League trophy with Ronaldinho during happier times and thus wished his former colleague well as he embarks on a new adventure.

"For me he is the best in the world and I'm convinced that he'll do well in Milan," he said.

But Ronnie's name cannot be mentioned without reference to the controversies that so dogged his later days at Camp Nou that ultimately saw him deemed surplus to requierements. Puyol, though, won't blame any individual for Barça's recent decline.

"It would be an exaggeration to say that Ronaldinho was Barcelona's only problem, as for me we win and lose as a team," noted the captain.

"But everyone's so focused on Ronnie and great players that the media only ever talks about them. Congratulations came when we won the Champions League but then there was a no confidence vote after a horrible final season."

Revolution; Number Nine?

Under coach Guardiola both Ronaldinho and Deco have left the club, which in Puyol's eyes is the start of a mixed-feeling revolution.

"We've also lost Zambrotta and Thuram, but it's true that they were two of the best in the world," he said.

"Last season wasn't good and it's true that they spent much of the year injured: that's one of the problems in that footballers who are absent are accused.

"Now we have another cycle starting and what we have to do is focus. I get along well with them and thank them for all they've given us. I've lost companions but I've gained friends outside.

"Eto'o is a problem? He is a great player who is training eagerly once again, and if he's here he's not a problem.

"Yet we must always be clear that the most important thing, above any player, is the team."

Puyol's Future

As for one certain individual, though, the veteran Spanish international was defiant, aiming to confound his critics.

"Some say that Puyol is no longer the same, and that I'd fallen: the Euros showed otherwise," he boomed.

"The truth is that I'm not affected by things that they say. I try to do my job and I have a clear conscience because I give my all. Sometimes things don't go well: I@m the first to be angry in such situations and I am to improve.

"I think I have a few more years left. Some want me to bow out but I must endure."




Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.