Benzema Cool Under New Season Spotlight







Having top scored in Ligue 1 last season, finding the net 20 times, Olympique Lyon striker Karim Benzema claims that he feels no additional pressure this season and will merely be trying to better himself…


When Olympique Lyon kick-off the defence of their Ligue 1 crown tomorrow evening at the Stade Gerland against Toulouse, Karim Benzema will likely have been one of the first names on Claude Puel’s virgin teamsheet. At just 20 years old, the powerful forward has assumed the heavy burden of being Lyon’s primary goal scorer yet this does not faze him ahead of the new season.

Speaking to the club’s official website, Benzema said, “I must always try to better myself. I will not put myself under particular pressure. For me to perform very well I must train hard and play regularly.”

Bettering himself does not mean scoring more goals as the French international realises that this season there will be new challenges for him to face. “Not too much of me was known last year. This season, teams will watch me more closely.

“For me to work well, I must be more intelligent and not simply run in all directions. As the coach [Claude Puel] said to me, I must keep more juice for the final 30 meters,” revealed Benzema, who also stated that he wants to work on his finishing, particularly with his head.

Lyon may not take such an offensive approach to matches this season as wily general manager Claude Puel wishes to improve their defence. Benzema stated that Puel has been drilling the squad hard on defensive tactics in order to prevent the large number of goals that were lost last season.

Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.