Manchester United lifted the Vodacom Challenge trophy courtesy of a comprehensive 4-0 defeat of Kaiser Chiefs in South Africa.

Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney both found the target at the Loftus Versfeld Stadium, as did Tom Cleverley and Fraizer Campbell.

United manager Sir Alex Ferguson used the showpiece match to mix his side up, with a game against Portsmouth to come in Nigeria on Sunday.

It was a comfortable victory for United as the opposition looked weary after defeating Orlando Pirates on Thursday. Chiefs could not cope with Rooney's intelligence and movement, no matter how hard they tried.

He was targeted several times in the game but he managed to keep his temper in check. Not only did he cap a hard shift by scoring, he also set up Cleverley's goal.

Anger management

United were never really troubled and could have made the breakthrough as early as the fourth minute when Giggs released Rooney but he sent his chip marginally over the bar.

Rooney was looking lively and got away from Jonathan Quartey in the 20th minute only for goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune to kick it clear.

Siphiwe Tshabalala went close with a free-kick before Giggs made the breakthrough in the 40th minute with a shot high into the net following a cross from Lee Martin.

Rooney was caught by Quartey a minute into the second half as he tried to take advantage of the defender's short back pass. The England striker was unhappy at being targeted every time he had possession but got on with the job in hand.

Giggs almost added a second in the 47th minute but Khune made a good block and Rooney sent the rebound into the side-netting.

United's pressure paid off in the 57th minute when they went 2-0 ahead after Rooney slipped the ball past Khune after being set up by Danny Simpson.

United scored a third five minutes later and it was a moment to savour for starlet Cleverley, as he clipped the ball home at the near post after Rooney had headed on a cross from Simpson.

Substitute Campbell almost added a fourth in the 82nd minute only for Chiefs captain Jimmy Tau to clear off the line just as he was about to celebrate.

Campbell, who scored 15 goals on loan at Hull last season, made no mistake four minutes later to put the seal on an emphatic win.