Scholes: Two More Years







Manchester United veteran Paul Scholes has confessed that, when he hangs up the boots with the next two years, he will not miss the lifestyle that comes with being a professional footballer…



Scholes has always been the least glamorous of United’s stars, despite a decorated career in which he has collected myriad winner’s medals and been recognised among Europe’s elite midfielders.

While the likes of David Beckham, Ryan Giggs, Ruud van Nistelrooy, et al courted cameras or controversy at some stage in their careers at Old Trafford, the Ginger Prince has usually shied away from such publicity.

The former England international has continually struggled against the tide to keep his family life private and his football life strictly professional. He longs for the day when he longer has to deal with such issues.

"I can't say that I can't wait to finish, but I am looking forward to finishing being involved with everything that goes with it," Scholes said in The Telegraph.

"I suppose people are just very invasive and are always wanting to know what you're going to do. The only thing I will definitely miss is the football, not the general life of a footballer."

Two Years

United fans will no doubt hope Scholes endures as many more years as he can, given his importance to the team even in his veteran years.

Although he does not get forward as much these days and his legs may not be what they used to, the Ginger Prince is still rightly regarded as one of the Premier League’s foremost playmakers, having adapted marvellously to the deep-lying, quasi-holding role.

Many feel he could carry on for several seasons in that manner; however, Scholes expects to be an ex-player come June 2010.

"How long will I go on? I'd think two years at the most," he said. "I have one year left on my contract and, hopefully, I'll get another one, but I suppose it all depends on how you're feeling and how you're playing."

Ahead

Scholes is notoriously devoted to Oldham Athletic, his childhood team, and many expect him to play for the Boundary Park club once he calls time on his career with the Red Devils.

But the Manchester native insists he will only what lies beyond United when that day finally comes.

"It's difficult to say whether I want to bow out at the top [with United] or not," he added. "I'll just have to see, when the time comes, whether I want to carry on playing somewhere else at a lower level. But I don't look that far ahead."









Post a Comment

0 Comments
* Please Don't Spam Here. All the Comments are Reviewed by Admin.